The Department of Planning administers the zoning process in the City of Chesterfield. Zoning is the means by which the City regulates, restricts, permits and prohibits the use of land, buildings/structures and other premises for specific uses. This is done via site-specific ordinances and the criteria found in the City's Unified Development Code. The Unified Development Code ensures that land is developed and used in such a manner that promotes growth and development while preserving and protecting the community and enhancing the quality of life for its residents.

Among the items which may be included in governing zoning for a site are:

  • Permitted Uses
  • Building and Parking Setbacks from property lines
  • Parking Requirements
  • Sign Criteria 

Zoning Maps
Zoning within the City is graphically illustrated via the Zoning Map of the City of Chesterfield, which shows the zoning boundaries of properties within the City.  

Zoning Enforcement 
The Department also enforces the requirements of the Unified Development Code and any site-specific ordinances for the property in question. 

After a complaint is registered, an inspector is charged with conducting an inspection to verify that a zoning violation exists. If a violation is found, the property owner will be provided with notice.

What is a Zoning Violation?
The following is a list of examples where zoning violations could occur:

  1. Street lighting or parking lot lighting issues.
  2. Concerns regarding a Portable Storage Unit.
  3. Requirements of the City of Chesterfield Tree Preservation and Landscape Manual.

To file a zoning complaint, contact the City's Customer Service Representatives at 636-537-4000.

Questions regarding Zoning can be directed to the Planner of the Day at 636-537-4733 or pod@chesterfield.mo.us.

Property Maintenance Complaints
Enforcement of Property Maintenance or Nuisance Complaints are handled by the City of Chesterfield Police Department's COPPS Program (Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving) at 636-537-4756. You may also report a problem directly by using the "Report a Problem" link.