Re-Occupancy Permits

When a business is moving into a new space but is not doing alterations that require a building permit, the business owner must complete a Re-occupancy Permit Application. This ensures compliance with city, county, and fire district codes before occupying the space. Applications are required to be submitted to the City of Chesterfield for Municipal Zoning Approval (MZA). Approved MZA's are then forwarded by the City of Chesterfield to Saint Louis County for approval and inspection.  The applicant is responsible for obtaining fire district approval via a separate permit as required by the applicable fire district.

Existing residential homes do not require a re-occupancy permit to be obtained when selling a house to a new owner.

For questions about Re-occupancy Permits, please contact the "Planner of the Day" at 636-537-4733 or A copy of the Re-Occupancy Permit form can be downloaded here.New businesses also need a business license before opening. Information regarding obtaining a business license can be found here: