Guns are a very real danger to children, as they are now in an estimated one-third of all U.S. households. It is important for parents to talk with their children about the dangers of guns and what to do if they find one. When talking with your child about gun safety it is important to stress the following information about what to do if they come into contact with a gun:
- Stop what you are doing immediately.
- Don't touch the gun.
- Get away from the area where the gun is located.
Immediately tell an adult about what you found or saw. Call 9-1-1 if you can't find an adult to tell.
If you are a parent and have a gun in your home remember these tips:
- Take the ammunition out of the gun when storing it.
- Lock the gun and keep it out of reach of children.
- Store the ammunition separately from the gun.
- Store the keys to the gun/ammunition storage in a safe area, away from where you store the gun/ammunition.
- Keep gun cleaning supplies out of reach of children as these are often poisonous.
If you have questions about the provided information, please contact one of the officers in the Community Affairs Unit at 636-537-3000 or by email at email@example.com