Animal Complaint Procedures
In accordance with City of Chesterfield Ordinance No. 148, residents are responsible for keeping a dog, cat or other animal from being at large.
A dog or puppy is at large when it is outside a cage or building from which it cannot escape, unless
- It is attached to a leash held by a person that is capable of controlling the dog.
- It is in a vehicle from which the animal cannot escape while the vehicle is being driven, is parked or stopped.
- It is not more than fifty (50) feet from a person to whose commands the animal is obedient.
- It is on the property of a person responsible for it.
Any animal other than a cat or dog is at large if it is not in a cage which restrains it from interfering with any person while it is in a place of public assembly or public commerce. Complaints regarding loose animals should be directed to the Chesterfield Police Department at (636) 537-3000.
Procedures for Filing a Complaint about Animals Creating a Nuisance
In accordance with City of Chesterfield Ordinance No. 149, residents are responsible for keeping a dog, cat or other animal from creating a nuisance.
A dog, cat, puppy, kitten or other animal creates a nuisance if it:
- Soils, defiles or defecates on property other than property of a person responsible for the animal unless the waste is immediately removed and deposited in a waste container or buried where the person responsible for the animal has permission to bury it.
- Damages public property.
- Causes unsanitary or dangerous conditions.
- Causes a disturbance by excessive barking, howling, meowing or other noisemaking.
- Chases vehicles, including bicycles.
- Molests, attacks, bites or interferes with people or other animals on public property.
- Interferes with trash collection, mail delivery or meter reading by annoying people responsible for such activities.
- Tips, rummages through or damages a refuse container.
Complaints regarding animals creating a nuisance should be directed to the Chesterfield Police Department at (636) 537-3000.
690 Chesterfield Pkwy W
Chesterfield, MO 63017-0670
Phone: (636) 537-3000
Fax: (636) 537-6798