Each year the officers of the Chesterfield Police Department are required to train in a variety of topics. Chesterfield Police Officers are also required to qualify with the firearms they use on duty (pistol/shotgun/rifle).
Required Annual Training Includes:
1. Qualification in firearms proficiency on the duty weapon, back up weapon, shotgun and AR-15 rifle.
2. Low Light Qualification in firearms proficiency on the duty weapon.
3. Less-Lethal Weapon (OC Spray/Taser) Training
4. Defensive Tactics Training
5. Physical Agility Assessment
6. Hazardous Materials/All-Hazard Training
7. Mental Illness Training
8. De-Escalation Training
9. Biased Based Policing Training
10. Implicit Bias Training
Additionally, Ethics Training and a Table Top Exercise (Active Killer/Mass Casualty) Training are required every two years and Jail Operations Training is required every three years. At least once per 4-year cycle, training is required in First Aid/CPR/AED, Driver’s Training, Riot Control and Officer Wellness.
In addition to the required training completed each year, officers participate in additional skill-building training in firearms proficiency. Many officers also elect to attend non-required training in a large variety of other topics.