In St. Louis County, the TIF Commission is comprised of:
- Six members from St. Louis County;
- Three members from cities having a TIF district;
- Two members from the school districts; and
- One member from other taxing jurisdictions.
Before a TIF District is created, State Statute requires several steps:
- The municipality must create a TIF commission as provided in the TIF Act,
- A redevelopment plan, including a description of the redevelopment area and the redevelopment projects therein, must be prepared.
- The TIF commission must hold a public hearing and make a recommendation to the municipality pertaining to the redevelopment plan, the redevelopment projects and the designation of the redevelopment area, and
- The municipality must adopt an ordinance approving the redevelopment plan, the redevelopment projects and the designation of the redevelopment area. It should be emphasized that evaluation of a TIF District does not obligate the City to approve a TIF District.